Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Kevin Spacey to go to trial in UK for alleged sexual assault -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Kevin Spacey to go to trial in UK for alleged sexual assault
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:12:35
LONDON - Oscar-winning U.S. actor Kevin Spacey on Indexbit ExchangeTuesday overturned a London court ruling which effectively found him liable for an alleged sexual assault on a British man, after his lawyers mistakenly failed to serve a defense to a civil lawsuit.
Spacey is being sued at London's High Court by a man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, who alleges that in 2008 he was sexually assaulted by the Hollywood star. The actor has denied the allegations.
In 2022, the 64-year-old was charged in Britain with nine sexual offences against four men between 2004 and 2013 but was acquitted of all charges after a high-profile trial last year.
One of those four complainants separately sued Spacey in a civil lawsuit at London's High Court in 2022.
Earlier this year, a judge granted the man "judgment in default" – a ruling in his favor without a trial – after Spacey's lawyers failed to serve a defense to the lawsuit in time.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Adam Speker, a lawyer representing Spacey, said it was a "genuine error" by the actor's legal team from the prominent British law firm Carter-Ruck.
Speker argued it would be unfair for the claimant to effectively win his lawsuit against Spacey without a trial when he had been "disbelieved on oath by a jury".
Judge Jeremy Cook ruled in Spacey's favor and overturned the judgment in default against the actor.
"The defendant's solicitors have made an error," Cook said. "In my view, that error should not be visited upon the defendant."
Tuesday's ruling means that the claimant's case against Spacey will proceed towards a full trial.
Kevin Spacey acquittedof all sexual assault charges: The actor's UK trial explained
The ruling comes a day after Britain's Channel 4 broadcast a documentary featuring testimony from several men who made allegations of inappropriate behavior by Spacey.
Spacey gave an interview to British broadcaster Dan Wootton ahead of the broadcast in which he denied any illegal activity and said he would not allow himself to be "baselessly attacked without defending himself".
"I take full responsibility for my past behavior and my actions, but I cannot and will not take responsibility or apologize to anyone who’s made up stuff about me or exaggerated stories about me," he said.
veryGood! (73194)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Real relationship aside, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce are 100% in a PR relationship
- After years of erasure, Black queer leaders rise to prominence in Congress and activism
- Gunmen kill 6 construction workers in volatile southwestern Pakistan
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Steve Scalise withdraws bid for House speaker
- New Hampshire man wins $1 million from $1.4 billion Powerball draw
- Teen arrested in Morgan State shooting as Baltimore police search for second suspect
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Amid fury of Israel-Hamas war, U.S. plans Israel evacuation flights for Americans starting Friday
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Experts say Hamas and Israel are committing war crimes in their fight
- Palestinians flee northern Gaza after Israel orders mass evacuation with ground attack looming
- Sen. Joe Manchin considers independent 2024 run, warns party system could be nation’s ‘downfall’
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Teen Mom's Kailyn Lowry Details New Chapter With Baby No. 5
- The history of skirts (the long and the short of it)
- AP Election Brief | What to expect in Louisiana’s statewide primaries
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Oweh to miss 4th straight game, but Ravens ‘very close’ to full strength, coach says
Now in theaters: A three-hour testament to Taylor Swift's titan era
Teen survivor of Kfar Aza massacre says family hid for 16 hours as Hamas rampaged through community
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
More than 238,000 Ford Explorers being recalled due to rollaway risk: See affected models
France is deploying 7,000 troops after a deadly school stabbing by a suspected Islamic radical
Lexi Thompson makes bold run at PGA Tour cut in Las Vegas, but 2 late bogeys stall her bid